Katey Sagal Downsizes to Bel Air Home

katey sagal

Right on the heels of winning a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Katey Sagal sold her Hollywood Hills, Calif., home to downsize to a home in West Bel Air.

Huh? Shouldn't she be movin' on up?

I guess this television vet -- better known for her role as Peg Bundy in Married With Children -- doesn't let a little trophy go to her head. She and husband Kurt Sutter, writer/producer of Sons of Anarchy (the show she stars in and the one for which she won her Golden Globe), bought a 3,844-square-foot, stylized A-frame house with 5 bedrooms and 5 baths for $3.695 million. The home has a chalet-like, wood-beamed interior and sits on 1.5 wooded acres, which sounds pretty nice, but they gave up a peach of a home, too.

Here's what they sold: The 7,202-square-foot Sagal/Sutter home (below) was first put on the market in early 2010 for $4.75 million, and after a series of price drops, finally sold at the end of the year for $3.77 million.

Buyer Rickey Minor, the former music director of American Idol, got one hell of a deal. Sagal and Sutter originally paid $3.71 million for the six bedroom, eight bath home in 2005 and, according to Luxist, put $1 million of improvements into the property, including adding the basketball court.

Carrie Culpepper blogs about design at CultureFix.wordpress.com.

Still trying to decide which is right for you? Here are some AOL Real Estate guides to help you no matter whether you choose to buy or rent:

Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Get property tax help from our experts.

mariaramey

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that she had a miscarriage and had a really hard time dealing with it.

February 02 2011 at 1:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xp

You must NOT live in town. Everyone here knows that a home in the Hollywood Hills is not as great as 1.5 acres in Bel Air! It's not all dollar-for-dollar. And she's smart, because Bel Air is depressed now in prices but overtime, it's always a good deal. She HAS moved up. You might want to drive by both places and talk to some locals!

January 31 2011 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzanne

I love it. Nice 2nd home for city living. If I had a choice my main house would be in a different state in the country. This is a nice and a colorful home. Love the extras... work-out area and basketball court. It's nice and cozy...framing trees... with a wonderful view. I'd make a few changes in hanging light and furnishings in the dining room, and change-out the ink blue and white tiles in the kitchen for something different. I would get tired of looking at that same pattern everyday, but to each his own. I'd say you got one hec of a deal too. WOW

January 30 2011 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lawrence fishberg

ANOTHER CELEBRITY, ANOTHER MILLION DOLLAR HOME, AND IF YOU WANT TO DROOL, YOU'RE WELCOME TO IT.

January 30 2011 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gail

Beautiful home with a unique style. I am sure their next place will be just as lovely. God bless them in their new home.

January 30 2011 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ally

THE PICTURES ARE OF THE HOUSE SHE SOLD NOT THE HOUSE THAT SHE JUST MOVED INTO... Still, downsizing cost the same as the money she got for selling her old home. It's probably to lower the property taxes. Maybe Sons of Anarchy isn't doing as well as I thought it was. I love that show and I love Katey Sagel.

January 30 2011 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David S.

Awesome place. And Peg Bundy can live wherever she likes.

January 30 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moinks

Dear Red Flag, forgive me, I admit it, I've always been a terrible speller, especially when rushed (I'm showing properties today}. However, my dealings and contracts are always accurate and correct and my clients always win, and, I've never been sued in my twenty-one-year career as a very successfull Realtor. I'll be frank about something else, it's a two-way street, I won't work with just anyone either, I do some selection too, life is just to short. When I see "red flags" that sense a name calling, "bully" or "primadona" I let someone else handle the forthcoming self-generated problems. You heard it before, "you are are your worst enemy".

January 30 2011 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mindiduck

Me as well, I'll be downsizing soon, into my car. Well it's my brothers car acually, I can email comparative photos if anyone wants to see the huge closet (a walk-in) I used to live in. But the car is a four door and the trunk is big enough to give my cat a separate space so he can have night visitors over. And I can move around with almost a different atmosphere every few days, or until some neighbor schlub says he's going to flatten my tires unless I move from his "hood". Life is harder then ya die, forever...

January 30 2011 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moinks

Hey folks I'm an active Realtor-Actor, a show business refugee, working all over the westside representing both buyers and sellers. A word to the wise in the selection of agency reprensentation. It's not the big company, that sells more real estate than anyone, it's the individual agent and that super agent could work out of a smaller firm. Often the high-end "Top Producer" agent of the big company is harder to reach than the Pope, with a cadre of assistants. Explore this, call for the agent and see how anonymous inquiries are handled. I recommend the agent who's assessible, experienced, and is hands-on and cares about protecting your interests, doesn't just roll over looking for a commission check. Remember most all of us work for and under a Broker who oversees all. At my firm we have a lawyer who also views all segments of the agreement, I feel these are the smart componants of agent selection. And I'm here if anyone needs me...moinks@aol.com

January 30 2011 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to moinks's comment
JBOY

If there was such a word as "componants" I might consider your firm. I don't go with illiterates. I think I need a larger firm where they pay for spell-check.

January 30 2011 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply