Robin Williams Back in the Big Apple, For $15,000 Per Month

Robin WilliamsRobin Williams just rented a fourth-floor condo (see photos below) on New York City's Upper West Side that was recently listed for almost $4 million, the New York Post reports. Williams is in town for the Broadway premiere of Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo, a new play about a tiger walking the streets of Baghdad in search of the meaning of life.

Williams is paying about $15,000 monthly for the 2,489-square foot 4-bedroom, 3-bath spread in The Rushmore, a family-friendly luxury building overlooking the Hudson River at 64th Street. The custom-designed unit had been up for sale for the past eight months, according to the listing at StreetEasy.

The Rushmore, which also houses a La Palestra Wellness Center, indoor swimming pool and Kidville indoor playground, has not been the easiest sell since opening in 2006. The Rushmore was one of those Manhattan buildings that started selling just as the real estate market began to crest. For the past year and a half, building developer Extell has been fighting with a group of 41 purchasers suffering from buyers' remorse want $16 million in deposits returned.

It's anyone's guess how the lawsuits will pan out. But uncertainty surrounding the building hasn't turned off another celebrity resident also moving in to the Rushmore: baseball star and Cameron Diaz main man Alex Rodriguez. Unlike new neighbor Robin Williams, Rodriguez is buying, a 3,600 square-foot penthouse, thank you very much -- for a cool $6.5 million.

Want to know how to deal with other rental issues? Here are some AOL Real Estate guides that can help:

Thomas

Just another way to find out that some actors really need to get with their financial advisors on how to spend their money. Anyone that spends that kind of money on "PURE RENT" is someone that really needs to have their head examine. What a waste of good money thrown out the window for something that isnt even yours at the end.

February 24 2011 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonia

I own a condo in New York's Upper West Side close to where Robin Williams is renting. It's a fabulous place to live. I lived there for 5 years. When I first bought my condo I paid $1 million but now with everything going up the prices have gone up. I am glad I bought my condo when he economy wasn't so bad.

February 24 2011 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Libra Insight

Robin Williams, Come on down to the middle class. You would appreciate us better and that $15,000 even more.

February 24 2011 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hezakiah

My step daughter and two friends rented an apartment that was the whole floor of an eight story building.They were paying 5800 a month plus utilities and that was over five years ago

February 24 2011 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leon

A hotel room is a whole lot cheaper by the month.

February 24 2011 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deweycompost

Just more evidence that actors and professional athletes are grossly over paid.

February 24 2011 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Robin Williams looks so old now, but I think he has a great personality.

February 24 2011 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Truawburton Truawburton

For me, he's definitely one of those stars whom I don't particularly like in his usual persona, but who proves himself a brilliant actor when given a good director and a meaty dramatic role.

February 24 2011 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
preetambr

Test Comment 2

February 24 2011 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
preetambr

Test Comment

February 24 2011 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to preetambr's comment
Kim

I've been out of work for a year. Http://www.bestbankruptcysite.info I have never had such a bad time in my life.

February 24 2011 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply