House of the Day: A Modern Castle Wired for a King

Blending the medieval with the modern, this $2.75 million home in the St. Louis suburb of Wildwood, Mo., resembles a straight-up castle. But it offers residents a rich array of modern amenities and spares them the once-a-month bathers. Gaze at its regal limestone exterior, slate roofing, spires and rampart-like balcony, or enter through its bronze door to enjoy its majestic promenade. Pass through limestone arched doorways, wind your way up its spiral staircase, then stroll a column-supported second-story walkway.

This lordly manor only lets you linger in the past for so long, however: State-of-the-art appliances and technologies infuse the premises with modern luxury. Vantage "scene" lighting, plasma TVs, fiber-optic "starfield" ceilings and a movie theater replete with motorized chairs are some examples of its techno-flair. Watch "Lord of the Rings" on a big screen with Surround Sound, then reenact it -- you pretty much live on set.

Louise Donovan of Coldwell Banker has the listing.

See more Houses of the Day on AOL Real Estate and other homes for sale in area of Wildwood, Mo.

Got a tip for House of the Day? Know of an exceptional or unusual property currently listed for sale? Please email ann.brenoff@huffingtonpost.com with your suggestions and be sure to include links to listing details and photos. (Due to the volume of response, we unfortunately are unable to respond to each submission.)

Featured Comments

The Blogger

wow thats a beautiful mansion

Check out presidential mansion in africa at http://africanbeautifulmansions.blogspot.com/2011/06/african-presidential-palace-kingdoms.html

July 12 2011 at 3:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gregory Dee Vmwmgmt

Gorgeous exterior. A castle, wife, dog, boat (in that order) is all I need in my life.

-Vmwmgmt.com

July 11 2011 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WaynesWorld 65

This house looks like someones worst nightmare! Looks as if this would be the house
Jed Clampett of the Beverly Hillbillys would want, You know this is the home of that man that bilked millions
from folks buying those stupied used and new car warranties!

July 11 2011 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cavekarst

I'm certain there's one more Bonaparte Napoleon who will buy it (cruel laughter).
He and this house, tho' wide, are short of normal.

July 10 2011 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grc2000

Nice - but I wish I knew where it was - the copy says Missouri, the titles say Montana? Who edits this stuff.......................................

July 09 2011 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to grc2000's comment
Get real.

MO is the abbreviation for Missouri, not Montana. Duh.

July 10 2011 at 5:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klasakt

Did you know that if you can't afford to have your wooden floors custom "tiled" you can actually paint/stain and varnish them to give them that look. If I had a house, and wood floors in said house, I would love to stain the wood in a unique pattern. They used to do that in the early years of our country to spruce up the plain wood floors when they could not afford the specialist to cut the wood in the patterns or the actual tile wood was replacing for flooring. You can still see it in some of the historical houses around the country. If only I had the money to do all these cool things.

July 09 2011 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klasakt

I think it is beautiful. I love castles to begin with, and this modern day one is cool. I don't think I would ever live in it though, even if I had the money. I would probably end up turning it into a B & B ... without changing it that is. Now a smaller scale version I could live in. I would love to buy an old, delapidated castle and renovate it. If I could only win the lottery!

July 09 2011 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tgp31

ALL I SEE IS A BUNCH OF JEALOUSY, GET REAL ITS AWSOME NO MATTER WHERE IT IS LOCATED

July 09 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
alfredschrader

Looks like a lot of fun, stairways that go nowhere, movie theatre but no beer fridge. Nice digs, but it's in St.Louis.
Nah.

July 09 2011 at 10:48 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
beanzy143

The outside is just plain tacky!!!

July 08 2011 at 8:34 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

Renter's Rules

Whether you're a new renter or previous homeowner looking to rent again, navigating the process of finding an apartment can be difficult. We're here to give you everything you need to know about renting and make your search for an apartment a little easier.

Visit Renter's Rules Now