Watch: AOL Real Estate's Interview With a Ghost Hunter

ghost hunters internationalIs there anything scarier than plummeting home value? According to Kris Williams, ghost hunter extraordinaire, there's plenty to give homeowners the willies -- and not just around Halloween either.

As a lead investigator on the SyFy Channel's "Ghost Hunters International," Williams has crisscrossed the globe in search of all things that go bump in the night. But whether or not you believe in the paranormal, ghost "sightings" can have a real effect on property value and a homeowner's ability to sell -- both positive and negative, Williams says.

In some states, if your home is reputed to be haunted ("stigmatized" in Realtor parlance) you may even have to disclose it to prospective buyers. With all this in mind, AOL Real Estate sat down with Williams on the eve of GHI's season debut to discuss that spooky nether-realm where hauntings meet home sales.

To find out what to do if you think your home may be haunted and why this hard-to-scare "paranormal investigator" would never wittingly live with ghosts, watch the full video below.

The new season of Ghost Hunters International debuts Wednesday, July 13 at 9 p.m. EST.

Featured Comments

Cire Hartman

*POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE**POKE* AT ORBS

July 11 2011 at 2:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ranm856

I love it when they show Kris's ass ...bring back Donna

July 10 2011 at 12:26 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
RYAN

Early march of 2001 I was driving my little new beetle and I went to a nearby store.I left the store and its about 8.30 in the morning and I decide to head to town the backway,I live out in the country.So Im driving down the road which is a 2 lane country road and I see a guy standing on the shoulder of the road.It made me think because he was wearing short sleeves and its still cold outside.Its drizzling rain that morning and I decide to go over into the oncoming lane so I dont mist him with water as I pass,the roads a very wet.So as I approach him I see this bush behind him......through him.As I get close enough to say who he was had I known him he just faded out...gone.I pass where he stood in the daylight and Im on the wrong side of this country road left scratching my head at what I just saw.....and thats my ghost story and I didnt make it up ,that did happen.

July 10 2011 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MURRAY J

in reality the bible states when u die your thoghts perish read it for yourself,, who would know more about what happens when you die then the one that created us??job 14-10-12 for instance a question about death is asked an then answered, gain we see JOB asking GOD tohide me in the grave and set a time to awaken him out of sleep in job 14v,14,15.one would ask?
when do those that sleep ( and that was death is likened to in the bible is just a long sleep ) When will Christ call them? CHECK OUT THE BIBLE WHICH EVEN MOST PROTESTANT DENOMINATIONS WONT TELL U ,, John 5, 28 29 for the answer ,, ,,
WE have Job declaring in chapter 19;;25-27 he knows his receemer lives and at the latter days he shall stand upon the earth n even though the worms have eaten my flesh aka ;; DEACYED) IN MY FLESH JOB states will he see , SEE,, GOD!!.. eccleasiasties 9,5-6 states the dead no not anything.psalms 6v 5 states in death their no rememberance in psalms 146,3,4 our thoughts perish rendering it impossible to love or hate u cant praise God if u have no thoughts? .. psalms 88 says the grave is called the land of forgettfulness?/ u can very well remember anything if u are asleep u do not know anything of what is going on around u ,,do you??,, honestly friends would u not have to have thoughts if u were a ghost??
if those that dies know not anything and their thoughts perish just as the Bible stats this thing called a ghost is not real but it can be demonic or in other words evil angels , taking on the appearance of humanity, .
NO HUMAN BEING that has died can come back to life to haunt us that is the truth straight from the Bible,, BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!. IF U WANT to know more why not look it up yourself in a concordance to see if i be lying ?/

July 10 2011 at 7:08 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MURRAY J's comment
nga and desiree

Dude stay off of the Juice ya blubbering idiot, you can't for 1 write!! you don't make sense, your passagers are bogus and unfounded and you yourself state that Ghosts are not REAL yet "and I quote" this thing called a ghost is not real "but" it can be DEMONIC or in other words evil angels, taking on the appearance of humanity???????????????? ahhhhh HEEEELLOOOOOOO idiot.... did you just read this???? Paaleeezzeeeee clown talk about something you might actually have something on. BOOOOO.

July 10 2011 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debra

As a Investigator as myself I can say there are many cases that can be explained but I can also say there is cases that can't..Researching the history and logging proof is a good start..I myself experianced the unknown since I was six yrs old and after my near death exp brought me to researching the field more closely..As for why every GH,GHI, GA episode always had activity like someone stated is for the ratings to keep the shows going I'm sure you would most likely want to see proof than not right? So they show the episode that only have activity..There are more spirits in this world than the living we have always lived among them.. Many spirits don't know they have passed and many spirits don't want to leave, would you if someone moved in your home or just to stay with loved ones..I could go on..The lands holds alot of history even the structures that dwell on the lands not to mention Items in the structure they were close too..If you purchase or rent a home the real estate or landlord has to let you know if its haunted or not only if you ask about it..You can always do reserch before buying or renting and if it sounds to good to be true then I would question as well..

July 10 2011 at 6:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hiker287

These ghosts show are a scam--have they ever offered proof--people still watch these shows as they do wrestling

July 10 2011 at 6:08 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
macd928

My first experience happened when I was around 5 years old. I woke up in the middle of the night, and saw 4 men playing poker in the middle of the living room with an orange glow from an old kerosene latern.
I never told my parents, When I turned 16 I moved to a basement bedroom after my brother moved out. That bedroom was haunted. I had alot of bad experiences in that room that I slept upstairs for 3 weeks because of the fear of being hurt. A friend spent the night with me one night and he was tormented all night by a figure he thought was me. He told his aunt about what happened and they contacted a local paranormal investigator which came to the house and I was told I was a "ghost magnet" I was told it was a gift. After they left the activity seem to be a bit less. After my mom died my dad moved and asked if I wanted to sell my house and he would give me my childhood home. I refused the offer. I have only been by that house 3 times in the past 20 years and each time it was being sold. A friend of mine asked me to watch his kids so he and his wife could go to dinner for their anniversary. The kids started getting abit wild so I grabbed them by the back of the shirts and told them if you dont settle down I'm going to lock you in the closet. Of course this was all in fun, When I put them in the closet, I acted like I was going to slam the door. Everything became slow motion as the door was about to close. I stuck my hand in the threw the door open, and screamed at them to get out of there. I was to scared to reach in and grab them. They finally got out of the closet and we went to the living room. I was exhaused. My friend came home and I couldn't leave there fast enough. Me and my friend was fishing about a week after that . I decided that I should tell him what happened because I felt there was a porthole in that closet. At the same time we both said "I got something to tell you" My friend went first and told me his oldest son woke up in the middle of the night screaming. He ran in there to see his son backed to the corner of the bed crying with the sheets over his head. Told his dad that the kids in the closet wanted him to come and play with them. (I still get chills telling this story) I then told my friend what happened that night.

July 10 2011 at 3:23 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joy

There are countless paranormal series on cable tv, some more interesting and credible than others. But all are superficial when compared to the scientific minds applied to the subject during the heyday of spiritualism. I've been interested in the subject for more than 30 years and have read extensively on it. I believe there are several logical explanations for "hauntings," and each "manifestation" must be viewed individually. Some are, indeed, explainable by modern science, others by psychology, and of course, a few are frauds. Others will be explainable, someday, with further advancements in physics -- as we learn more about space/time and energy fields -- and some will become more understandable when, as individuals, we discover first-hand that Consciousness expands at the death of the physical brain.

July 10 2011 at 2:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rgr5108

My comment isn't so much about Kris, but about "Ghosthunters". A few years back they were much more credible, because it seemed the majority of the time they were able to find valid reasons for whatever people were interpreting as a haunting, and their REALLY good unexplainable experiences were more credible to me for that reason. They were following their own credo back then, that good ghosthunting more often than not resulted in being able to explain a case...more like busting a ghost story. It seems now that every single episode is supposedly an actual haunting.

July 10 2011 at 1:53 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Tok2Me64

This girl labeled "Paranormal Investigator" is nothing but a FAME *****! Her big hoop earrings and low cut shirts complete with bending over for the camera man were complimented wiith tacky, disrespectful comments made towards the departed spirits she was trying to contact. She and Amy Bruni sat in the cupola of a hotel (can't remember which one) where a gentleman had hanged himself and after being there for awhile she said, "Let's go. This place is dead and I don't want to hang around here all day." They both laughed. Ugh! I couldn't stand her before that but after that......was absolutely ecstatic when she left GH....and then they appointed her to GHI and suddenly she was a lead with Barry Fitzgerald. Didn't watch that anymore!!! I can't stand her and her HUGE forehead. She must be related to the waste of space Tango and his very large foreheadd!!

July 10 2011 at 1:13 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply