Man Claims $300K House for $16

A tip of the hat to our pals at Curbed for tipping us off to this one. Thanks to a little-known provision in state law, enterprising Texan Kenneth Robinson -- either a hero or a squatter, depending on your point of view -- has taken possession of a foreclosed $300,000 house for a mere $16. That's the amount he forked over to file a claim of "adverse possession" of the property with the Denton County courthouse.

Robinson contends that the abandoned house is his for the taking, since neither the original owner nor the bank is likely to go to the trouble or expense of kicking him out. If he can manage to stay in the property for three years, he says, the law grants him the right to petition the court for title to the house.

Crafty though Robinson may be, not all of his new neighbors are happy to see him in their midst. Watch the video to see how the controversy unfolds.

Featured Comments

David Braun

Today is saturday,8/13/11.Any new news on the man who took legal possion of that house in Flower Mound,Tx.?

August 13 2011 at 5:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine H

BTW... Congrats to kenneth! I hope he gets to stay! The people that are complaining areJealous because they didn't do it or know about the Law. Someone who takes the time & effort to research this is well deserving!

August 06 2011 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine H

There is a vacant lot next to my house that I have occupied & took care of for 21 yrs. I had a swimming pool built on the property 11 yrs. ago, a fence around the pool area flower beds , trampoline, Canopy's, picnic tables, 3 sheds, trailor & various kids toys. We started cleanning the lot up a year before we actually moved into our home next to it because it looked like a Jungle. We put a chain link fence across the back by the alley to stop people from Dumping stuff their as well. This was done before the pool was put up & before we added fencing completely around the pool. The City man had actually shook my hand & told me Nice job because that was a site for the worse dumping area on this side of the East End & that I cleaned the lot up Very nicely. We have taken care of the lot ourselves also as far as mowing, weed eating etc.. even trimmed up some trees. I had a garden on part of it until this year because my knees are getting bad & its hard for me to keep up with the gardening so our Old vehicles occupy that spot now. My 10 grandkids play on the lot all the time . I let kids from a church group come over here & have get togethers also. On 8/4/2011 I get a Fed X letter from a company that builds houses saying they have title to the lot & they want my stuff off the lot by 8/15/2011 or they will remove everything theirselves & throw it away! I've been doing my research & learned about "ADVERSE POSSESION" & from what I've researched I have EVERY Right to Claim the property! Im a FIGHTER & I wont give up even if I have to get the News people involved. I know I need to file something with the county courts so they can decide who has the rights But I am not sure HOW to do this. I am running out of time! I need help! Can You help me? What papers do I file? I live in Dayton, Ohio Montgomery County . I am trying to look for an Attorney although I have No money to retain one & as I said , TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE?!! Thank - You Christine Hedrick.. e.mail.. citygirl_23_2000@yahoo.com

August 06 2011 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xhawk2

If the man did it legally, he's not a squatter.

August 02 2011 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pearlswithlace

Hey why not? He has the papers that are legal binding, and has the court marks on them. I see no problem with it. As long as he is caring for the property and not tearing it down he could add to the value of that house and the surrounding houses. I just want to know, how many african americans live in that neighborhood? It looks upper class, could it be they are showing racial prejudice towards this man?

July 26 2011 at 9:57 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
dvettecrzy

If any of you are Really Interested the DVD you should all see is "INSIDE JOB" The documentary is excellent.
I GUARANTY it is not Boring as many are. It will show you how everything got this way!!!!! It is available on NETFLIX . I am not trying to do anything but inform the public.and hopefully enlighten you before it is too late !!
If it isn"t already!!!

July 26 2011 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jhsinius

Well this man is real smart. Now the mortgage company is out of business, but during the mean time the people abandoned the foreclosed home and probably moved away from here. Anything could have happened sickness, loss of job, even death, we don't know what happened to the original owners. The new's did say the original mortgage company is out of business, but they didn't say what bank owned the home. Now this man is doing everything within the law, so he's safe. I would afraid to stay their and when it gets down do the last days these folks come back to claim their house, that's when there will be a problem!

July 26 2011 at 5:29 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cachetboyd

He's not a moron, he's a black intelligent man, It's not a scam if the law said so

July 26 2011 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cachetboyd

It's crazy how people will go throw so much trouble to hurt someone he's doing nothing wrong the law said it tonne it looks like these people will go as far as spending money to find was to get him out, I mean really mind your own business u found out what was is that u needed to find out,not what u wanted to hear,but oh well, leave the man be , I bet if he was white it would have been nothing said......she said they will do what it takes to get him out if he don't pay the foreclosed price....seem to be a lot upset to me......the owner nor the bank isn't doing anything about it....but neighbors are breaking there back too.....SMH

July 26 2011 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PUGOD1ST

LMBO!!!! Stop being HATERS yall are just mad because he was smart enough to do his research. It's his home so BACK OFF!!!

July 25 2011 at 7:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply