Walt Disney's Whimsical Los Feliz House for Sale

walt disney house

Could this be your happiest place on Earth? It was the house that the man himself built for himself in 1932 for $50,000. It's now on the market for $3.65 million.

The 12-room mansion has a feature rare for its era: A projection and screening room. But what else would you expect from the man who brought the world Mickey and the gang? The studios would send over daily takes for Walt Disney to review. It was an early work-at-home office!

The four-bedroom gated home is in the trendy Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles. The Mediterranean-style entry has a circular rotunda and painted ceilings. Who knew that Walt had a thing for old world styling? There is a double-story living room with vaulted beamed ceilings and wrought-iron spandrels. The home, which sits on an acre, has the original leaded stained glass.

Disney lived in this home for about 18 years, although he had several other Los Angeles homes, including his better-known one on North Carolwood Drive. Even in real estate, it's sometimes about building a better mousetrap.

Also see:
House of the Day: Builders Really Nail Pixar's 'Up' Home

Walt Disney World Builds Houses to Attract Baby Boomers to Orlando

See more homes for sale in Los Angeles' Los Feliz neighborhood on AOL Real Estate.

See more celebrity real estate.

Featured Comments

Hi Beege!

I met him sort of... "Many" years ago my sister and I were visiting Disneyland and in the Tomorrow Land plaza. There was a big crowd and all of a sudden this guy makes his way past me and in so doing, steps on my foot. I was ready to let him know it, when I realized it was Walt Disney for real! He ended up on a stage, and I don't even remember what the occasion was, but I never stop telling this story to anyone who will listen! He really was a gifted and immaginative man and... I forgive him for stepping on my foot!

July 27 2011 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marilyn116

Shirleyn48......You nailed it. He was a true gift to all of us.

July 27 2011 at 1:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Gilbert

I'm happy with my REGULAR house. I can't take that $3.65 million house and my money with me when I die anyway!

July 27 2011 at 1:13 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Michael Terrell

He had the money to build what he wanted, and he earned it with his creativity. Most people are forced to buy whatever is on the market, no matter what it looks like. It took me over a year to find a house I liked, after looking at a lot of useless to me, houses.

July 27 2011 at 12:07 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
pstewcat22

On Sunday Night, it was Swamp Fox, the Scarecrow, Swiss Family Robinson, Daniel Boone, Kidnapped, Prince and the Pauper. The Sons of Liberty,...I knew walt Disney because he brought magic into our lives through our old black and white tv..better yet, he seemed to know me when Sunday Night came along...I iss him, Jimminy Cricket, Chip and dale and Scrooge McDuck..it's hard putting away our childhood...Paul Stewart, forever wearing my coonskin cap...

July 26 2011 at 10:08 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
george hoch

COOL HOUSE

July 26 2011 at 10:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mikie walker

its ok it needs more fun stuff its to dreary

July 26 2011 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shirleyn48

WHAT A GREAT MAN HE WAS! He brought class, decency, ethics, morals and beauty into all our lives. The world today is much too crass, low class and vulgar. Our society has declined horribly and there is very little beauty in the world. I miss Walt and I wish there were more people like him today.

July 26 2011 at 9:36 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
pattiruben

What an interesting article and photographs...who took the pictures and wrote the article?

July 26 2011 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
UNKLEW2001

Mr DISNEY'S HOUSE LOOKED AS FASCINATING AS HE WAS IT'S 2 BAD THAT I WILL NEVER GET THE CHANCE TO EVER MET HIM'

July 26 2011 at 8:52 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply