"We expected to look for artifacts," Bryant McIntosh told AOL Real Estate. "We never thought we'd find bones in the attic."
"It looks like they put someone in there and nailed it shut," Union City Police Department Lt. Chris Mathis told the Battle Creek Enquirer.
Both girls took the unexpected discovery in stride, according to their father, Bryant McIntosh. "My older daughter was like this is so cool!" he said, while his younger daughter concluded "it was creepy and cool all at the same time."
Mcintosh said that the skeleton's visible dental work, small size and accompanying corset suggest the bones belonged to a wealthy woman. And "we're thinking it could be homicide," he said.
The anthropologist at Michigan State University who will examine the bones was not available for comment.
Once part of the Underground Railroad, the home built in 1839 used to conceal escaped slaves who counted on sympathetic whites like the home's former owners, the Zimmermans, to hide them from authorities as the runaways traveled north to Canada.
Recently, news outlets reported a similar story involving the discovery of a skeleton that has remained in a Swedish home for 800 years. The home was built in 1750 on the remains of a Russian church. The deceased may have had a bit more traditional burial, though: The bones are in a tomb. The realty agent for the home, which was for sale as of August 17, assured The Associated Press that the skeleton "lies in consecrated soil and rests in peace."
We're not sure we can say the same for the remains found in the Union City home.
It's a scary housing market out there -- and not just because of home values. In this slideshow from This Old House, home inspectors from across the country sent some of the funniest, most eye-popping sights they've ever had the misfortune of stumbling upon. Click through to share their grief!
I think it is safe to assume that this furnace is not venting properly. I inserted a smoke emitter into the burn chamber and all of the smoke backed up into the attic. A rain cap that was installed on the chimney exhaust left little room for venting.
During our unusually cold temps in January, this unfortunate squirrel thought that he'd be OK if he just went down the chimney and followed the source of the heat. He ended up inside the furnace cabinet and got caught between two sections.
Moore Home Inspection Services
St. Louis, Mo.