New Apartment Building's Amenities Include a Resident Puppy

emmy in her 2M doghouse
ZillowEmmy in her doghouse, modeled after the 2M Apartments building in Washington, D.C., where she's Puppy Ambassador.
By Jennifer Chan

At first glance, the list of amenities at Washington D.C.'s 2M Apartments seems normal enough: a swimming pool, fitness center and dog park, just to name a few. Click around a little more on the website, though, and you'll see a more unconventional amenity: Meet Emmy, the resident 2M pooch.

ZillowEmmy tests the fitness equipment at 2M Apartments.
Emmy is a 9-month-old English bulldog who lives in the 2M leasing office. Living up to her unofficial title of Puppy Ambassador, Emmy's days are full of greeting visitors, playing with building residents and taking naps in an Emmy-sized replica of the 2M building. At night, she goes home with the building's leasing manager, who lives on-site.

"Here in D.C. there are lots of people who are transplants, don't have family and work insane hours. Not everyone can own a pet, but that doesn't mean they can't enjoy the perks," explained Holli Beckman, vice president of marketing at WC Smith, 2M's developer. "Emmy helps give a sense of community you really want as a renter."

In addition to being available for walks and romps in the dog park, Emmy also helps host community yappy hours. Some prospective residents ask to meet the pup the moment they walk in, and others find it hard to leave -- especially when she lifts her paw to wave goodbye.

The idea of having a community pooch hatched out of Beckman's search for an amenity to help the newly constructed 2M community stand out from the competition. While working on-site at another community, she noticed a resident walking his dog and how everyone on the street gravitated toward the canine. "That's when I realized 'this is what makes people happy,' " she said.

So far, Emmy hasn't disappointed.

Curious to see what life is like as the Puppy Ambassador? You can follow Emmy on Instagram.

joaniebell

The dog park is on the apartment grounds.

July 20 2014 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Whad Up Girl!

I'd rather live with dogs than most humans!

July 19 2014 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Hope

At Texas A&M University, the official mascot has always been "Revellie", a collie. However, back in the 1960s, all Aggies had a four-legged buddy, President Earl Rudder's white bulldog, officially named "Ranger" but known to his buddies as "Earl". I used to see him lounging on the sofas in the student center. He also had a habit of sitting down in the middle of campus traffic to stop a car and "bum" a ride. Aggies used to paint words on his side (including, one time, the word "Rudder" with an arrow pointing to his rear!). He was an doughty old, scarred-up, character, and everyone had a deep affection for him.

July 19 2014 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dolly

Susan F: You believe, but you don't "know" if anything is written in the lease. I didn't say it was an obligation. As it may be a privilege, many people are irresponsible, but claim," otherwise". As someone who has been a volunteer in a non-profit animal welfare organization for years, I know whence I am speaking from. Dad should be more responsible and not hand the dog out to tenants to walk.

July 19 2014 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

it better come with a slut maid not some dang dog

July 17 2014 at 4:59 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Dolly

Linda, you don't get it, they're not offering the dog up for adoption, she's part of the rental promotion. Personally, I think that stinks, what makes them believe some of the tenants are up to snuff as far as walking her in parks, they may be irresponsible dog walkers.

July 17 2014 at 4:02 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dolly's comment
Lynn Fredenburgh

I believe those responsibilities are offered as privileges, not obligations. I am sure it is all spelled out in the lease, and those who wish to opt out can do so. The dog does have a home, she just goes to work with "Dad" every day and he gave her a job.

July 19 2014 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda Romero

Wanted one of these gorgerous bulls my entire life. I raised Peks for 35 yrs but due to a stroke I stopped raising them. After years of rehab. I know that I am now to raise, love, and protect this baby for me and Mom. My problem is to have the $3500 or more is more than I have from my Soc Sec. Disablilty income. I can take care of this loving "child" with food, medical properly maintance. They say an animal with help a person to live longer, Mom and I would loving help so much, protect hime beyond all beyonds.

July 17 2014 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply