For Sale: Leona Helmsley's Summer Home

Helmsley mansion greenwich conn exterior
ZillowLeona and Harry Helmsley were indicted for claiming as business expenses things they purchased for this lavish home.
By Emily Heffter

The Greenwich, Connecticut, summer home where hotelier Leona Helmsley died has been completely renovated and is back on the market for $65 million. The mansion was at the center of the tax evasion scheme that landed Helmsley in jail in the 1990s. The case took Helmsley and her husband, Harry, from glamorous to notorious as the case played out in the press. Helmsley was dubbed the "Queen of Mean" and famously was quoted as saying that "only the little people pay taxes."

The billionaire couple were indicted for claiming as business expenses things they purchased for the 17,493-square-foot brick estate, which sits on 40 acres on Round Road, one of the most famous parts of Greenwich. Among the luxuries they added to the home: a marble dance floor above the swimming pool, a $45,000 silver clock and $500,000 worth of jade art objects, according to The New York Times.

After Helmsley's death, her Greenwich estate was originally listed for $123 million, but several price cuts led to its eventual sale to the current owners, for $35 million. They listed it soon after buying it, for $42.9 million, then took it off the market and set to work renovating the 1918 estate from top to bottom.

They tore some of it down (the home is 3,000 square feet smaller than it was when they bought it) and modernized it considerably. They also restored original teak floors and limestone walls and fireplaces, and added new technology, appliances and equipment.

The tile roof was removed, restored and put back on.

The estate has views of the Long Island Sound and luxurious touches such as the freestanding, oversized bathtub in the master bathroom. The listing is held by Jane Howard Basham of David Ogilvy & Associates, part of Christie's International Real Estate.

VRaviator

Now THAT photo will keep you from drinking too much at a local bar.
How would you like to wake up in the next morning, roll over and see THAT in bed with you?????
As my USN Master chief used to say, "I never went to bed with any ugly women BUT I SURE WOKE UP WITH SOME"

July 27 2014 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
baharmon78

`Does ollder women know you don't wear these awful hairdos.The hair does not match her face,

July 27 2014 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jhunterdz

This is very ordinary, boring and sterile (not to mention low ceilings). I can see why the price was reduced, etc.

July 27 2014 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pmomike

I have been to the Helmsley home on Round Hill Road. At one time it was called Dunellen Hall ( it was a girls school). I don't remember any of the interior pictures. The grounds look the same, but there was a reflection pool up the driveway at the main entrance.

July 27 2014 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jlaba2

Who needs a house this big? Obviously some people do.

July 27 2014 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brennemanbelkin

Wonder if the place still stinks.

July 26 2014 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cwrinpv

The Home is beautiful....However alot of it is now common.The Kitchen actually looks dated by today's standard in Kitchen design......The flooring is well boring.....The one bath that they show is beautiful, but again very common and not very big for a House of this size.....It is indeed beautiful but how design and trends make this Home actually dated in some respect.

July 26 2014 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dr. Cal Harris

I interviewed for the international training director for the Helmsley folks and was waiting for my turn to go in (they were using one of the airline club's meeting room in Atlanta Airport) and heard this loud ranting (female voice) and this man came out flushed and terrified. I went in next and Mrs. Helmsley and two other's were sitting at the table and were looking at my resume. Before she could speak I asked her who the man was that just left and she stated that he was one of her directors. I told her that I was not interested in interviewing. She asked why? I told her that if that was the level of respect that her directors got that I certainly had no interest in working for her or her organization. That was my 45 second involvement in her hotels. I don't think she deserved to go to jail and probably wouldn' have if she hadn't been so much of a witch with people. I guess folks came out of the wood work to testify against her. Karma is real and you can't escape it.

July 26 2014 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tsr5112

Could not get past opening picture. Looks like they dug her up for that picture. Is even scarier looking cause they didn't.

July 26 2014 at 9:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
grace.spain

Am I the only one who gets a creepy feeling looking at this "dungeon like" dwelling. Nothing about it screams "Home Sweet Home"...Way too "Old School" and very "creepy". Not to mention, well it's just ugly.

July 26 2014 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply