For Sale: Singer John Denver's Former Aspen Home

john denver aspen house
Courtesy of Aspen Snowmass Sotheby's International RealtyThe estate in Aspen that John Denver built in 1972 is very much the way the singer left it.
JOHN DENVER
APJohn Denver
By Emily Heffter

John Denver released his song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" in 1971. And then he built his Aspen estate the next year, tucked into the country roads in the Starwood community. The folk singer was so popular in 1972 that fans started driving into the private neighborhood. At his neighbors' request, Denver built a gatehouse at the entry to keep the country roads clear. Now the late singer's house and guesthouse are for sale for $10.75 million.

The listing agent, Carol Dopkin of Aspen Snowmass Sotheby's International Realty, was a friend of Denver's and attended his annual birthday parties on New Year's Eve, when he would hang out with his friends in the kitchen.

The home, she said, is "very unusual, and very reminiscent of John. It's beautiful. It's timeless."

The current owners made a few small changes -- a hot tub off the kitchen, expanded lawns -- but the home still feels like Denver, she said, with personal touches like curving walls of stained glass in the master bedroom and custom woodwork in the kitchen cabinets. There are four indoor fireplaces, an outdoor fireplace and decks looking over magnificent Rocky Mountain views. The singer had a recording studio in the guesthouse on the property.

After Denver died in 1997, his estate sold the home to the current owners, who used it as a vacation home, according to a story in The Wall Street Journal.

Photos courtesy of Aspen Snowmass Sotheby's International Realty.

sadiejaye

Loved the man, the voice and his songs. I would love to be able to live here but alas cannot afford such a thing. I pray whoever buys it does enjoy it and perhaps have a large family to go with it. May peace, joy and love abound within its walls. I was fortunate to be born in 1943 so lived during part of big bands, all of rock and roll, and folk song era. I think it was ideal. Those of this era listen to music which to my ears is rude, crude, and downright vulgar. You are allowed to listen to and enjoy whatever pleases you, as am I. I think I got the best of the best and I imagine you do too. My era was family oriented and yours is not so much...as John would say, "Far out!" I say to you that I hope you find joy in whatever you find joy in...

August 06 2014 at 11:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
EzinWy

Just too cool. Love his music. Money sure helps ...

August 06 2014 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
musingrayla

I wonder if it comes with the John ( Dusseldorf ) Denver gas tank he got in the 70's gas shortage. Yup, a reel environmentalist from NOT Colorado. Too bad his name wasn't John, Keeokuk. Oh yeah, we have 1%ers in Colocalitexaforniarado with 25M$ houses they use maybe 4 weeks a year, some have 1 in Asspen and 1 in Vail.

August 06 2014 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to musingrayla's comment
Rooster

John Denver's birth name was Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. If you cannot even get the name right, how can I believe anything else you say?

August 06 2014 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
henryusmale

I liked his rocy mountain high song.
At over 10 million sale price, and someone using this as a vacation home.
What in the world does the family house look like?
I can't even imagine that kind of money.

August 06 2014 at 9:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Chip

This "folk star" was one of the nastiest, greasist, most hypocritical people to ever disgrace the earth. He built this mansion in Colorado while caterwauling in "Rocky Mountain High" about others "tearing the mountains down."

August 06 2014 at 9:00 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chip's comment
mociambz

I knew john personally and he was a nice generous man , just not as liberal as you clowns think, his father was in the air force and he was raised in texas before moving to Colorado and spent much of his youth in LA which is what screwed him up. ca sucks

August 06 2014 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ajt1025

People are not happy unless they are cutting doqwn someone. Shame they missed a good period of time. John was a part of those good times in our country and it just saddens me why people today don't take a step back.

August 06 2014 at 8:59 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
coffeetime9

I do not understand why some people have to speak bad about those who can no longer defend themselves. Be careful, what will people say about you when you can no longer defend yourself?

August 06 2014 at 8:31 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to coffeetime9's comment
Chip

He put his thoughts on record, and they are vile and hypocritical.

August 06 2014 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chip's comment
mociambz

you are full of crap

August 07 2014 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
henryusmale

When I am no longer here to defend myself, I won't care.

August 06 2014 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shenson1116

Do the present owners walk around the surrounding forests with Grape Nuts in their pockets?

August 06 2014 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coffeetime9

Very beautiful house and setting. The view is well worth the money ( I wish I could afford it) Loved his songs and singing. I have most of his recordings and they do make me feel happpy.

August 06 2014 at 8:21 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to coffeetime9's comment
mociambz

it didn't cost anywhere near that when john had it built liberal democrat hypocrits ran up the price of aspen

August 07 2014 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johngin1999

Loved his music back in the day.
Too bad Zillow put up this article . Zillow makes up Zestimates that have no basis in reality & adversely affect buyers & sellers looking for a home.
When questioned about their Zestimates & why they change in an arbitrary & capricious manner from home to home in the same neighborhood, the COWARDS hide & don;t respond.
Zillow CANNOT be trusted!

August 06 2014 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply